Saturday, January 14, 2012

Whole30 Day 7

Today started off horrible and ended up really good.  So, being the weekend and having some extra time, I thought I would try some new Paleo recipes from several Paleo sources.  For breakfast this morning I made some pumpkin (Paleo) pancakes and also some primal pancakes - I wanted to try both to see which I'd prefer - I left the vanilla out of both recipes for Whole30.  I made the primal pancakes first and sauteed some bananas for on top.  They were pretty good, although very bland in comparison to regular pancakes.  Although with the bananas on top I ate several down very easily (so easily in face that I ate them all before I could take a picture!) The bad thing about the recipe I followed was that it only made about 6 mini sized pancakes.  Definitely not enough for 3.  On to the pumpkin (Paleo) pancakes I went.  If you know me at all you know I LOVE pumpkin and even use it in a lot of my baking.  Thinking these pancakes would be excellent just with the pumpkin alone I was excited.  However, they did not turn out good at all.  I couldn't even eat them.  I'm not sure if I did something wrong or I just don't like the taste of pumpkin (Paleo) pancakes. I guess live and learn.  I'm just glad I didn't try this on a weekday morning!  This kind of put me in a little funk for a while.  I really was down about not liking the pancakes and in turn wanted something not good.  Like a doughnut.  And those cravings continued throughout the day, ALL day. :O(  But let's talk about what I did eat, not what I wanted to eat.

Since we had lots of leftovers from previous dinners, lunch became a hodge podge of those leftovers mixed with scrambled eggs.  Maybe I should call it egg, etc. or something.

 {lunch = eggs, etc. - eggs, pork chop, grilled chicken & zucchini}

This afternoon some errands needed to get done so out we went.  While out we stopped at the Farmer's Market to see what kinds of goodies they had.  Every time I go to the Farmer's Market I say "man we should come here more often" because I am always amazed at the amount of food we leave with for not a lot of money. 

 {Farmer's Market finds - bananas, onions, tangelos, butternut squash, blueberries & strawberries}

Most of you are probably aware of my obsession with Pinterest?! Yes? No?  Well I have one.  A BIG obsession.  When I saw the recipe for baked apples that only involved apples and cinnamon I was all about that.  I love anything with cinnamon and if it is Whole30 approved I NEED it!! :O)   Once I got home from running around, and to be honest almost giving in and getting a coke and some Valentine's candy since it was EVERYWHERE I turned, I decided to try this recipe.  Oh man are these apples yummy.  And the whole house smells like apples and cinnamon.  Can't beat that! I don't have an apple corer so I used an apple slicer that takes out the core and then sliced those slices thinner or into little pieces - whichever happened to happen.

 {cinnamon baked apples - Bug helped me with the cinnamon 'sprinkling' so some of these babies ought to be extra delish!}

I also made up a quick fruit salad for snacking and to have with dinner.  It was hard for me to pry this out of Bug's hands to even take the picture.  She pretty much ate 3/4 of the bowl BEFORE dinner!  
{fruit salad - blueberries, strawberries & kiwi}

Alright, let's get to the part of the day where it got better.  DINNER.  I promised myself I would try new things while doing Whole30 and so far I've really surprised myself by not only trying things but actually liking them.  Things I adamantly have avoided for years.  Tonight was steak.  I was not looking forward to it at all because 1. I didn't know what it tasted like and 2. I was positive I wouldn't like it.  I was wrong.  I did like it.  And ate the whole thing.  ANNNNNND..... not only did I try and eat the steak I also tried and ate LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of sauteed onions on top of the steak, and just by themselves by the forkful.  I'm pretty much in love with them.  It's so funny to me because I hate onions, the smell, the taste, the consistency.  Or I thought I hated onions.  I don't see myself running out to eat any raw onions anytime soon, but saute those bad boys and I'm there!  In fact just typing about them makes me want some more.  Yummy!  

 {dinner - steak, green beans, fruit salad - I took this pic prior to dumping on the sauteed onions, I only realized half way through my steak that I liked them}

7 days down, 23 to go!










    

No comments:

Post a Comment